Pertti J. Pelto International Travel Award
In the fall of 2012, a small group of Pertti "Bert" Pelto's former students and colleagues initiated a conversation about the most appropriate way to honor their former teacher and mentor. The group quickly agreed that an appropriate tribute would be to establish a travel scholarship for an international scholar/practitioner to visit the US and interact with like-minded social scientists, in conjunction with the annual meeting of the Society for Applied Anthropology. This idea grew out of the recognition of Bert's lifelong interest in developing and nurturing scholarly networks on a cross-national basis.
The Pelto International Travel Award will be awarded every other year to a mid-career applied social scientist who is a citizen or permanent resident of a low or middle-income country. The recipient will receive a cash award for travel expenses, registration at the SfAA meeting, and a hotel room for the duration of the conference. A special session will be organize at the meetings for presentation of the recipients's paper.
To be eligible for the award the nominee must have the following:
-A masters degree or higher in a social science field of study.
-In or affiliated with an educational institution, governmental agency, or community based organization in their home country.
-Demonstrate innovative application of social science theory and methods to address social problems.
-Work with grassroots programs, organizations or other entities that address these issues.
-Demonstrate involvement in capacity building for applied social science in their country.
Each nomination should include:
1. A letter of nomination made by any SfAA member.
2. A supporting letter from an SfAA member or from an applied social scientist in the nominee's home country
3. An application from the nomination which includes:
- Name of nominee
- Address, telephone number(s), email address of nominee
- Name and address of nominee's institution
- Statement from the nominee about how this opportunity will advance the application of social science in his or her home country
- An abstract of the talk the nominee proposes to deliver at the annual meeting of the SfAA
- Nominee's resume or Curriculum Vitae
The selection committee consists of five members appointed by the President and Executive Board of SfAA. Please email nominations and supporting material to: Society for Applied Anthropology
Deadline for receipt of all materials is February 15, 2018.